The marvelous staircase at the Doubletree Hotel Fort Shelby in downtown Detroit. In 1917 a group of investors sought to build an affordable hotel near Fort Street Union Station. They hired Schmidt, Garden & Martin of Chicago to design the building and the 10-story 450 room hotel opened in 1917. The hotel was so successful that in 1926 they broke ground for what was to be the first of two 450 room expansions, the 27 story Albert Kahn designed addition opened in 1927. However, the Great Depression halted plans for building of the second addition...In 1951 it was sold to the Albert Pick Hotels chain and renamed the Pick-Fort Shelby. With more business opting for newer suburban hotels and motels the Pick-Fort Shelby struggled with low occupancy throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s. Pick closed the hotel in 1973 and sold the building to three twenty something investors who reopened it as The Shelby Hotel, a hotel/apartment complex geared toward youth in 1974, however, this was short-lived and it soon closed again. For many years, the Anchor Bar, a popular watering hole for workers at the nearby Detroit News and Detroit Free Press remained the only tenant until moving in 1994. RSC & Associates, a real estate investment and development firm, started work on this hotel in the spring of 2007, and finished construction in December 2008
View This Image's Galleries:
Stairs